Candyland
    Alder
    Meldinger

Question Synacthen versus using Hydrocortisone

Hello again Paul

Nice to see you here tonight aswell

Sitat Opprinnelig skrevet av Paul Robinson Vis post
    No point doing a Synacthen now on HC.
    Does this mean: it is no point in taking a Synachen-test when using HC?

I have used HC for 1,5 year - in addition to NDT.
    Last week I took a Synachen test at the hospital (because they wanted me to - not my wish).
    In the papers sent to me (some weeks ago) I was informed that I should not take any HC 24 hours upfront.
    What happended is that I misunderstood this, so I had taken my last HC 12 hours before the testing began....

But as I read your sentence "No point doing a Synacthen now on HC." - either way it will be useless information
    Kevlin
    ... bare fordi du er paranoid: så betyr ikke det at de ikke er ute etter deg!!
    Lavt stoffskifte - Erfa Thyroidfra slutten av 2009
    Min første halve pille med Erfa

Standard Re: Synachen versus using Hydrocortisone

Sitat Opprinnelig skrevet av Kevlin Vis post
    Hello again Paul

Last week I took a Synachen test at the hospital (because they wanted me to - not my wish).
    In the papers sent to me (some weeks ago) I was informed that I should not take any HC 24 hours upfront.
    What happended is that I misunderstood this, so I had taken my last HC 12 hours before the testing began....

But as I read your sentence "No point doing a Synacthen now on HC." - either way it will be useless information
    If your adrenals pass the Synacthen test then it is good information because the HC will be partially suppressing your adrenal function and making your adrenal response weaker than it should be. If you pass then your 'adrenal muscles' are pretty good. If you fail by a little then this may be the HC that has done this. If you fail massively then this may be Addison's.

OK?
    • The author of 'Recovering With T3 My Journey from Hypothyroidism to Good Health Using the T3 Thyroid Hormone' discovered he was hypothyroid over twenty years ago.
    • Don't give up hope. There are solutions that work. Please explore this website and it will provide many new ideas for you to consider.

Medlem siden
    Jun 2010
    Sted
    Indre Troms
    Alder
    Meldinger

Standard Sv: Synacthen versus using Hydrocortisone

I had my synachten test about 6-8 weeks after I started on cortison (witch meens that the adrenals could'nt be that suppressed). I did not know that the doctor wanted a synachten test, so I had taken one dose of cortison in the morning, and one an hour and a half before the test. The "zero value" was 200-something, witch would be normal that time of day. After the injection the bloodresult was 560 (ref >550). The doctor told me that he would consider the fact that I had taken cortison before the test. And he did. His interpetation was that I had suppressed adrenal function because of using cortison. So whatever your result is, Kevlin. You can be sure that however they read the result, it wan't be in your benefit.

Standard Re: Synacthen versus using Hydrocortisone

Sitat Opprinnelig skrevet av Kevlin Vis post
    Hello again Paul

Hi Kevlin, yes you have to be free from HC for several weeks (at least two I think( before a Synacthen test is considered to be accurate. The HC causes the pituitary to stop sending as much ACTH signal/request to the adrenal glands and this caused the adrenal glands to produce less cortisol. Over a long period the adrenal glands can get smaller due to the use of HC, so there is also the concern of adrenal damage due to long term HC use. Once the HC is stopped (which has to be done very slowly over many weeks), then after a few weeks the adrenals get the proper signal of ACTH and begin to produce as much cortisol as they can. Only then can a Synacthen test result be taken seriously. Your doctor should have told you all of this before the test. The process of reducing HC like this is called 'weaning' and it needs to be done very slowly and carefully to avoid causing serious problems with the patient's health.
    • The author of 'Recovering With T3 My Journey from Hypothyroidism to Good Health Using the T3 Thyroid Hormone' discovered he was hypothyroid over twenty years ago.
    • Don't give up hope. There are solutions that work. Please explore this website and it will provide many new ideas for you to consider.

Medlem siden
    Mar 2008
    Sted
    Oslo
    Alder
    Meldinger

Standard Sv: Synacthen versus using Hydrocortisone

Another thing, if you do not wean off slowly, you have a high risk to go from bad to even worse. You have an andreal insufficieny, and you might risk to get an secondary adrenal insufficiency. It is much worse. So all of us who need hydrocortison have to be extremly careful to not wean off too quickly.
    Hashimoto's, hypotyreose, Armour 2009
    Å leve med binyrebarksvikt eller binyretretthet
    • Ren T3 og LDN (lav dose Naltrexon) 2012, virket ikke for meg. Bruker thyroid

Lignende tråder

1. Svar: 2
    Siste melding: 27-08-10, 18:59
  2. Trenger tips om amour og Hydrocortisone
    Av Hassan i forumet Hydrocortison
    Svar: 14
    Siste melding: 21-02-10, 16:58

Søkeord for denne tråden

Bokmerker

Regler for innlegg

• Du kan ikke starte nye tråder
  • Du kan ikke svare på innlegg / tråder